This Masters degree opens up many opportunities. It allows students to apply for a thesis (whether academic or industrial) or job opportunities in the private sector.
In the long term, it leads to all the mathematical sciences-related jobs in university or industry, such as :
- Academic professors, researchers (universities, engineering schools)
- Research institutes (CNRS, INRIA, INRA, IFSSTAR,…)
- Scientific engineering (ECA, CNES, IFPEN, ONERA,…)
- R & D departments of large companies, such as Airbus, Alstom, Areva, Dassault, EDF, Google, Huawei, IBM, IFPEN, LVMH, Michelin, Microsoft, Orange, PSA, Renault, RTE, Safran, Thalès, Total,… or in start-ups and SME.
There are many opportunities to start a thesis, whether in universities, or in private companies (via the French CIFRE programme for instance).
On the academic side, teams in Paris are among the best in their field internationally. They are part of the Paris Foundation for Mathematical Sciences. These mathematicians are involved in a very strong network, both nationally and internationally, and students from the Masters degree will be able to get advice and contacts from international laboratories and teams.
This Masters degree also offers very attractive job opportunities from all branches of society: industry, health, telecommunications, banking, finance, insurance, services, etc. All the great challenges that the world faces today can take advantage of advanced mathematics. Many mathematical job profiles have recently become prominent, like data scientist or mathematical engineer, and are now recognized as strategic for small and large companies. Mathematics are easily applied to many different fields, and they take an important part in the development of advanced technologies, like E-health, renewable energies, automatic trading, predictive maintenance, etc. Students will receive advice and contact opportunities from the professors responsible for their Major and from all the members of the pedagogical team.
Some useful links
- Confederation of Young Researchers
- SMAI - "Operation Postes" (academic job offers)
- Le livret d'accueil des mathématiciens (SMAI)
- Applied and Industrial Mathematics Society
- French Mathematical Society
- De la thèse à l'emploi (Association Bernard Gregory)
- Adoc Talent Management (cabinet de conseil en recrutement de docteurs / PhDs)
- AFFDU Association Française des Femmes Diplômées des Universités
- AMIES - Agency for the Interaction of Mathematics with Companies and Society
- The ANDES (National association for Doctors Es Sciences)
- Agency for French-speaking Universities
- Center for studies of Employment in Research
- CFEM Commission Française pour l'Enseignement des Mathématiques
- Emplois et formations sur le web (GO)
- Conseil Emploi Métropole
- Scientific employment in France (Ministry of research)
- Les métiers de l'Enseignement supérieur, de la Recherche et de l'Innovation (Présentation du Ministère)
- Jobs in higher education and research
- Femmes et Mathématiques
- Emplois Post-Docs
- Post-Docs opportunities
- High council for the evaluation of research and higher education
- Scientific calculation in Europe
- Maths-jobs (Bank, Insurance and Finance)
- Maths-phi (Financial Mathematics)
- Post-Docs opportunities
- CNRS - Guide for new employees
- The University and Professional Community of Sorbonne University